NIVA is looking for a Full Stack Developer
Søknadsfrist: 21. oktober
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway’s leading institute for applied research on marine and freshwaters. The institute has world-class, multidisciplinary expertise across a wide array of environmental, climatic and resource-related fields. We combine research, monitoring, evaluation, problem-solving and advisory services at international, national and local levels.
NIVA has a broad set of water and water-related environmental data from monitoring programs, field studies, modelling and samples analyzed in NIVA’s laboratories. The data include physical, chemical and biological quantities.
NIVA’s section for Environmental Data Science is working with the “digitalization of environmental research” in Norway. We are currently tasked with developing a new and modern data platform including capabilities for delivering future digital services. The goal is to bridge the past, present and future when it comes to how we conduct environmental research and by doing so we strive to help our society become more sustainable.
The NIVA group has approximately 340 employees, with a head office is in Oslo and regional offices in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, plus a research station at Drøbak (Oslofjord) and subsidiaries in Tromsø, Chile and China.
As a part of NIVA’s ongoing efforts to develop new data platforms and digital services, we are hiring a full-time developer to our Environmental Data Science team.
- Data wrangling: prepare, analyze and facilitate use of data by NIVA’s researchers
- Contribute to the design and implementation of a modern data platform for NIVA
- Contribute to and develop new digital services
This will be a team effort where the successful candidate will work closely with colleagues in the environmental data science section and researchers and technicians across NIVA’s research domains.
A university degree (MSc or equivalent) in computer science, mathematics, statistics, software engineering, physics, or related fields is required. Relevant experience can compensate for formal education. A good command of English is also mandatory.
Documented knowledge, skills and experience in some of the following topics is desirable:
- Full stack development on Linux/Unix platforms
- Public cloud deployment, including containerization and orchestration with Kubernetes
- Databases (relational and others)
- Web frameworks, e.g. React, Flask and GraphQL
- Git and GitHub or other version control systems
- Event-driven data processing pipelines, e.g. Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ or similar
- Environmental or applied sciences
- Statistics and machine learning
We are looking for an enthusiastic, goal-oriented candidate with good communication skills, who wishes to work in a broad, interdisciplinary and international research group with colleagues from a range of backgrounds. More specifically, we are looking for candidates with a “hacker mindset” who are eager to learn new technologies and who find pleasure in finding and implementing solutions to hard problems.
By joining NIVA you’ll be part of an enthusiastic team of data scientists and engineers in a company with established expertise in the water domain. You’ll participate in exciting research and development projects at the interface between environmental research, IT and data science, and you’ll have the opportunity to participate in designing and building NIVA’s next generation data platform and products. You’ll also have the chance to play a part in protecting our waters for the future.
NIVA offers you
- The opportunity of working towards creating a better future
- Challenging tasks at the leading national water research institute with a comprehensive international network of contacts.
- A head office at CIENS (The Oslo Centre for Interdisciplinary Environmental and Social Research) centrally located at the Oslo Innovation Centre near the University of Oslo.
- Stimulating work environment with capable and dedicated employees.
- Competitive conditions and salaries, pension plans and insurance benefits.
Applicants might be evaluated and contacted before the application deadline.